Published: May 18, 2022
Skechers USA Benelux BV, and its parent companies, Skechers S.A.R.L. and Skechers USA, Inc. (“Skechers”, “we”, “our”), is strongly committed to protecting your privacy and providing a safe online experience for all of our users while offering the highest quality user experience.
Because we gather certain types of information about and from you in order to fulfill your requests and better serve your needs, we feel you should fully understand the terms and conditions surrounding the collection and use of this information. This Privacy Notice discloses what information we may collect or that you may provide when you visit www.skechers.be (our “Website”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
Skechers USA Benelux BV
5141 MT Waalwijk
Phone: +31 416-673 160 (Mon-Fri 8.30 – 17.00)
Skechers Data Protection Officer: Frederic Pariente
Lead Supervisor Authority: Information Commission’s Office – United Kingdom
The Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
Depending on how you use the Website, we may collect several types of information from you, including:
- Information by which you may be personally identified, such as name, loyalty account number, mailing address, email address, and telephone number.
- Information about your internet connection (such as your IP address), the equipment you use to access our Website, marketing that led you to our Website, and Website usage details.
- Information about products or webpages that you view, products you add to your cart, products you choose to review, and purchases that you make through the Website.
- Information about your location in order to, for example, identify Skechers stores near you.
- An order number and email address to allow you to find information about orders and returns.
We collect this information:
- Directly From You When You Provide It To Us.
- When making an online or retail purchase, we may ask for your:
- Shipping address
- Billing address (if different), and
- Telephone number
- When registering for a Skechers Website account, for Skechers marketing emails, for a Skechers sweepstakes or giveaway, or for Skechers Plus™ (or other loyalty program, if any is available), either in person, at an event, or online, we may ask for your:
- Email address
- Phone number (optional)
- Confirmation that you are age 16 or older
- If you contact our customer service department, you may need to provide us with additional information so we can respond to your questions and concerns as completely and thoroughly as possible.
- In order to provide an enhanced customer experience, we may occasionally request additional information such as your gender, shopping preferences, product interest, and email notification preferences. Whether you provide this information is completely optional and up to you.
- When making an online or retail purchase, we may ask for your:
- Automatically As You Navigate Our Website.We use automatic data collection technologies, including third-party services, to collect additional information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns including:
- (1) details of your visits to our Website, including page views and clicks, search activity, cart activity, location data, and the resources you access and use on the Website.
- (2) information about your computer and Internet connection, such as browser type, browser version, operating system and IP address. This information allows us to see which areas of our Website are most visited, and helps us improve the quality of your online experience by recognizing and delivering more of the most desired features and services. To better understand and optimize the user experience, we also use third-party user session recording technology. The recording does not show us personal information that the user inputs into our website.
- (3) information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking).
- Why We Automatically Collect This Information. Automatically collecting this information helps us to maintain and improve our Website. It also allows us to verify system and server integrity and to provide you with more personalized service. For example, using cookies or through your logging in as a Skechers Elite™ member, we can recognize you when you return to our Website and provide you with a customized Website experience based on your stored preferences and individual interests.
- How We Automatically Collect This Information. We automatically collect this information using cookies and web beacons.
- A web beacon is a small electronic file contained on pages of our Website that permits Skechers to count users who have visited those webpages or opened an email.
Lawful Grounds for Processing Personal Information
We rely on several lawful grounds for processing your personal information, depending on how you interact with us and/or our Website:
- When Necessary For Us To Enter Into And To Perform A Contract With You. For example, in order to fulfill an order you placed on our Website we may need to process your payment information; your contact and shipping information, and information regarding your purchase.
- When You Provide Us With Consent To Process Your Personal Information. For example, when opting into receiving email marketing, you are consenting to us processing your email address and/or contact information to send you emails on special offers and sales, product launches, and Skechers events. You may withdraw this consent at any time in the manner described below in the Skechers’ Email and Text Communications section.
- When Complying With A Legal Obligation. For example, certain laws and/or regulations may require Skechers to collect and retain information for a certain amount of time for tax purposes, or to prevent fraud and other illegal activities.
- We May Also Process Your Personal Information For Our Legitimate Interests. These interests include, but are not limited to,
- improving our products and services;
- understanding how our customers use our products, services, and Website;
- researching and analyzing the products and services our customers want;
- researching, measuring, and analyzing the effectiveness of marketing techniques;
- soliciting customer feedback on product satisfaction;
- personalizing our offers and Website to you for a better experience; and/or
- keeping our Website safe and secure.
Personal data that we process for any purpose or purposes shall not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose or those purposes.
How We Use the Information
We may use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including personal information, to provide products and services to you, for example:
- To present our website and its contents to you.
- To fulfill and deliver orders placed through our website, and any other purposes for which you provide personal information, such as for the processing of returns.
- To administer contests, promotions, surveys or other site features and to provide you with the relevant products or services (for instance, to deliver a prize you may have won in a contest).
- To send you information via email about products, offers and news we think could interest you. We only send you this if you have opted-in to receive Skechers email messages.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection purposes.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or our policies.
- To analyze visits to the Website and learn about the interests of our visitors in the aggregate and better understand your personal interests and needs, so we can improve our products and services and deliver the type of content, features and promotions that you are most interested in.
- The information obtained from online registration is utilized to improve your shopping experience with Skechers by enabling you to earn reward points, obtain a faster checkout for purchases and/or opt-in to receive promotional emails, which provide you with the latest and greatest information regarding Skechers and its products.
- The telephone and credit card number information we ask for when you order online is used only to complete the order, confirm the order and confirm shipment of the order. Limited credit card information is then stored only for the purposes of faster checkout (for Elite Members only), and is not used for any other purpose.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information or for any other purpose with your consent.
Sharing Information with Third Parties
Except as described in this Privacy Notice, Skechers does not sell, rent or trade any personal information you provide to us online or at our stores, nor do we share such information with third parties. We may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide as described in this Privacy Notice:
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates, which may require transferring your information outside of the United States.
- To our agents, contractors, business partners, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them. Examples of these services include payment processing and authorization, fraud protection and credit risk reduction, product customization, order fulfillment and shipping, advertising strategies, marketing and promotional material distribution, website usage evaluation, data analysis and, where applicable, data cleansing. We also may share non-personal information (such as the number of users who visited the website during a specific time period or who purchased a specific product through the website) with our marketing partners, advertisers and others from time to time. This information generally is shared in an aggregated form.
- To third parties, such as credit agencies, to verify delivery names and addresses for online orders. If you provide us with a delivery name and address which is not your own, you must have that person’s permission to give us their personal information and for us to use it for the purposes specified. By providing it, you are affirming that you have their permission to do so.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Skechers assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Skechers about our Website users is among the assets transferred. If that happens, your personal information may be disclosed to another company, but that disclosure will be subject to Skechers’ Privacy Notice.
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request
- If we believe disclosure is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of Skechers or any of our respective affiliates, business partners, customers, or others.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
International Transfers of Personal INformation
In certain circumstances, Skechers may deem it necessary to store, share, or process your Personal Information outside of the country in which your personal information was originally collected, including the United States and/or countries outside the European Economic Area that have not been recognized by the European Commission to provide an adequate level of data protection. Such transfers of Personal Information will be protected by appropriate safeguards, such as standard data protection contractual clauses approved by the European Commission.
To obtain a copy of any of these agreements, please contact our Data Protection Officer, Frederic Pariente at email@example.com.
Skechers takes special care to protect the safety and privacy of children. Our Website is not intended for individuals under 16 years of age. We do not permit anyone under the age of 16 to register with us, nor do we knowingly send email correspondence or knowingly collect personal information from individuals under 16. If you are under 16 years of age, do not use or provide any information on this Website. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from an individual under 16 without verifiable parental consent, we will delete that information.
Skechers’ EMail and Text Communications
From time to time, Skechers communicates to customers by email or text to inform them of changes to Skechers.com, special offers that might become available, and other information Skechers believes will be of interest to site visitors. Skechers will send these types of communications to you only if you opt-in to receive Skechers marketing messages (by registering to receive our email or text updates, registering for the Skechers Elite™ program, signing up in person at a Skechers event, or by contacting our customer service department and specifically requesting to be added to our marketing list(s)).
Opt-out / Unsubscribe
You may request that you stop receiving electronic communications from Skechers anytime. You can cancel emails by updating your contact preferences on our website or following the instructions contained in the footer of our marketing emails. To unsubscribe from SMS, MMS or other mobile messaging, you may also follow the instructions in the messages you receive. Alternatively, if you would like to have your name and contact information removed from Skechers’ email or text marketing list, please contact us by calling Customer Service at +31 416-673 160 (Monday - Friday 8:30am - 5pm Western European Time) or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also write to us at:
Skechers USA Benelux BV
5141 MT Waalwijk
It takes some time to put opt-outs in effect, so you may still receive electronic communications from Skechers for several weeks after your request is received.
Please note this opt-out does not apply to emails sent by Skechers related to your orders such as order and shipment confirmations, nor does it apply to Skechers’ email responses to inquiries you make online.
Data Subject Rights
Under the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), EU data subjects may:
- Withdraw consent to processing at any time where the basis for processing is consent;
- Request access to his/her data that Skechers holds consistent with and to the extent set forth in Article 15 of the GDPR;
- Ask Skechers to erase his/her data consistent with and to the extent set forth in Article 17 of the GDPR;
- Request that Skechers rectify inaccurate data or to complete incomplete data consistent with and to the extent set forth in Article 16 of the GDPR;
- Restrict processing of his/her data in specific circumstances consistent with and to the extent set forth in Article 18 of the GDPR;
- Make a complaint to a supervisory authority; and
- In certain circumstances, receive or ask for his/her data to be transferred to a third party in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format consistent with and to the extent set forth in Article 20 of the GDPR.
These rights are not absolute and may be subject to one or more exceptions.
Exercising Your Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and/or deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Calling us at +31 416-673 160
We reserve the right to deny data subject requests if we believe the request is subject to one or more exceptions or if the request would violate any legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
In order to protect your privacy, Skechers takes steps to verify your identity before granting data subject access requests. Skechers will accomplish this through the use of passwords and personal data. We will only use personal information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within 1 month of its receipt. If we require more time (up to 3 months total), we will inform you, within the first month of receiving your request, of the reason and extension period in writing.
If you have an account with us that is linked to an email address, we will deliver our written response to that email address. If you do not have an email address registered with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option. If applicable, the response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request.
For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded.
Skechers has in place technologies and processes that are intended to reduce the likelihood of unauthorized access to information and to help improve data security. However, no method of transmitting information over the Internet or method of electronic storage is completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
It is our policy to post any updates we make to our Privacy Notice on this webpage. If we make material changes to how we treat our users' personal information, we will notify you by email to the email address specified in your account and/or through a notice on the Website home page. The date the Privacy Notice was last updated is identified at the top of the page. You are responsible for ensuring we have an up-to-date active and deliverable email address for you, and for periodically visiting our Website and this Privacy Notice to check for any changes.